Tapa: Cloud-Connected Controls & Gateways for Building Monitoring & Control Systems
Connecting a buildings control and monitoring system to the cloud offers many advantages over traditional BMS and control platforms. Benefits include the following:
- Centralize disparate platforms at a site into a single managed location – By using Sentient’s cloud connected gateways, BMS and field controllers located throughout an individual property can all be integrated into single platform for real-time monitoring, analytics and control.
- Aggregate multiple sites across a portfolio – Through cloud integration, multiple sites can be brought up to a central platform where all sites can be accessed and evaluated against each other to identify outliers and gain better insight into overall portfolio performance.
- Securely control access through a single system – Centralizing access to the BMS is challenging when you have multiple users across many sites that need to be managed and maintained. By moving all platforms to the cloud, the user and access database on a per site and per device basis can be centrally managed.
- Lower ongoing Infrastructure expense – Cloud platforms are infinitely scalable and abstract out the underlying hardware so that instances, data storage and network capacity can scale with the organization’s needs incrementally without having to build and maintain a data center that would require ongoing upgrades and maintenance.
- Data Management & Redundancy – Through the cloud, data can easily be backed-up and stored across multiple sites improving system reliability and ensuring a clear path to recovery in the case of a system failure.
Tapa provides turnkey solutions around installing, configuring and maintaining state of the art controls and gateways that connect to the cloud. With real-time data, analytics, and fault detection accessible via the cloud, management of critical building systems is enabled through the web and mobile devices. Tapa’s powerful, highly flexible controls and gateways communicate over both wireless and wired networks.
Monitoring and Control solutions for central plant and base building equipment include:
- Monitoring Systems for Continuous Commissioning – Designed to provide full visibility into mechanical systems and building conditions. Comprised of wireless sensor networks that are cost effective and easily installed to monitor data points such as:
- Space Temperature/Humidity
- CO2 levels
- Pipe/Duct temperatures
- Equipment runtimes
- Potentiometers / Gauges
- Pulse meters for electric/gas/water
- Boiler/Chiller Plant Controls – Controls designed to integrate with existing systems to provide supervisory or full control interfaces to the equipment.
- Cooling Tower / Condenser Water Loop Controls – Through the use of Variable Frequency Drives, Sentient’s controls optimize the performance of pumps on the condenser water loop and fans for the cooling towers by ensuring all systems are utilizing the minimum required energy to maintain loop temperatures and flow rates at all times.
- AHU/RTU/VAV Controls – Field level controls are designed to automate cooling systems to maintain setpoint while reducing overall energy consumption. Free cooling and occupancy based setbacks are optimally applied and are directly linked to thermostatic controls and sensors.
- Legacy/Existing Field Control/BMS Integration Services – A core feature of the Sentient Platform is that EXISTING CONTROLS CAN REMAIN INTACT. With the primary goal to push data to the cloud, Sentient does not require that we replace existing controls present in a facility. Based on the use of open protocols and manufacturer specific interface drivers, Sentient’s control platform connects to most existing Building Management and Automation Systems for both monitoring and control capability. Notable systems we integrate to include:
- Siemens Apogee
- Johnson N2 Metasys
- Honeywell Webs
- Automated Logic